Saturday, January 28, 2012
A Breakfast Favorite
Biscuits & Gravy have been a favorite of Beth and mine since we were learning to cook together as newlyweds in Salt Lake City, Utah. Back then, before farming and kids we would spend leisurely Sundays making breakfast and reading the paper. We still enjoy breakfast; but lazing away hours reading the paper is a distant memory. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy this breakfast as much as we do!
Drop biscuits recipe (this comes from Betty Crocker)
2 cups flour
1 T. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
½ cup shortening (Lard is our favorite & makes the best biscuits)
1 cup milk (whole is best)
1. Heat oven to 450
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in lard using pastry blender, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk until dough is soft and sticky.
3. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet – 10 to 12 spoonfuls
4. Bake 10-12 minutes – biscuits should be golden brown. Remove immediately from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
1lb CVSF Italian Sausage
½ gallon milk
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
1. Gently brown sausage and crumble.
2. When fully browned and crumbly, add milk.
3. While milk and sausage heats, make a roux.
4. Melt butter in sauce pan.
5. Add flour to melted butter and stir smooth.
6. Continue heating and stirring until roux turns brown
7. Remove from heat.
8. When milk and sausage is steaming, stir in roux.
9. Continue stirring as gravy thickens. If gravy is not as thick as you like, prepare additional roux 1 tablespoon buter/flour at a time.
10. Serve over warm biscuits.