1 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds beef (round steak, stew meat, or Swiss steak) trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces 1 cup less-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large unpeeled orange wedge
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
2. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; sauté 5 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides.
3. Stir in broth, sugar, salt, and pepper; nestle orange section into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
4. Remove and discard orange. Continue simmering, uncovered, 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
*~*~*~This is one of our family's favorites!!!*~*~*~*Serves 4-6
1 lb Italian pork sausage
1 onion, finely chopped
1 T butter
1 ¼ C Arborio rice
½ C good red wine
3 C hot chicken broth
1 T grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra to serve)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Skin the sausages and pinch small sections into a large frying pan. Fry gently until lightly crusty. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
2. In the frying pan melt the butter, add the onion and cook over moderate heat until it softens. Add the rice and toss until well coated in butter, stirring constantly.
3. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed. Add the sausage and stir through.
4. Add the chicken broth and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low , cover, and cook 15-20 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan, add salt & pepper to taste and serve.